Moving is usually very stressful. If you move by yourself or you plan to hire professional moving company, you should be prepared. Before you start organizing everything regarding your moving process, make sure to have a moving insurance for all of your belongings. Even if you hire the most reliable moving professionals in New Jersey, accidents can happen during the moving process. You should ensure yourself and avoid a headache and a loss of your belongings. Make sure your items are safe even before they are loaded onto the moving truck. Different types of insurance policies are there to keep your belongings safe during the move to make sure that you pick the right one.
Prepare for buying moving insurance
Before you choose the best insurance policy for your belongings, check your home lease first. Most people don’t realize that your homeowner, renter or the condo insurance policy already may have some insurance for your belongings. In some cases, personal property insurance may cover your items during and after your move. You may also find the clause in your renter’s policy that covers your items while in transit or in temporary storage during the move.
Should you agree to the terms and conditions?
These clauses are directly connected to the terms and conditions of the contract. Keep in mind that you should double check everything in detail before you organize the movers to pack your home. Homeowner insurance company should explain in detail how they cover your moving insurance. Also, you should check terms of the policy and buy extra insurance from your home insurance company. That is how you cover every safety aspect if you are worried about specific risks during your move.
Questions to ask your home insurance company
What is the type of coverage my policy provides during the move? Do I need additional moving insurance with my policy? If my move lasts more than one day, how long will my items be covered? Am I covered at both locations while I move? Whether you plan to hire local movers New Jersey or long distance moving company in New Jersey, you will have to buy an insurance policy for the move.
- Does my insurance policy have any kind of limitations while the items are in transit? How do you calculate the value of my belongings? – It’s important to know how your items are calculated in value by your home insurance policy. Maybe you may get better conditions and more extensive coverage for your items if you choose other moving insurance company for your move.
- Should I make a claim? Will the price of my insurance be higher if I do so? – These are very important questions.
The situation may vary and it depends on the type of the insurance you bought. Make sure you ask the company and check all the options. Do this before you buy additional moving insurance.
Questions considering the safety of your items
Does my insurance policy cover jewelry, fine arts of expensive wine bottles? If your insurance policy doesn’t cover these items can I buy additional moving insurance? – You should be aware that other moving insurance policies may even include breakage of these high-value items into the policy.
- Does my insurance cover theft or the disappearance of my belongings during the moving process?
- If my belongings are in storage does the company cover them by my policy? For what period of time does the coverage last? – Don’t be afraid to ask anything and check all the details of the insurance policy. Discuss all the circumstances in detail so you will be safe in case something happens and you need to file an insurance claim.
- What happens if during the moving process movers brake my belongings? – Usually, insurance doesn’t cover breakage of your items during the move. Be sure to ask about the insurance coverage options regarding the possible breaking of your items during the moving process and examine your options for additional moving insurance.
- If some damage happens to my things, will the company value the items as an actual cash value or a replacement cost? – You might disagree with the terms of the coverage for your belongings. If that’s the case, try to negotiate the terms or get additional moving insurance. In the case of an accident to get the real value of your belongings.
Consider asking following questions before buying moving insurance
First of all, make sure to review of all the various insurance options the company can offer. Ask about the way they determine the value of the things that has damages. Write everything down. Ask if the coverage that movers offer is different if you pack the belongings by yourself. How should you start the claim process and is there a time limitation to make a claim? Do they include the damages in the insurance policy? Those are usually the damages movers make while relocating your belongings to a new home. More often than you think, things have some damages during the relocation process. Sometimes the moving company has to take apart your doorways. Other times they have to reassemble furniture inside your new home. Keep in mind that your movers are responsible if any damage happens to your belongings.
Moving insurance that movers provide for you
Professional moving companies offer different ways to ensure your things during the move. If you bought a sort of home insurance, check what the company can offer as an additional type of insurance. Professional moving companies will offer you various types o of insurance. This way you can make sure to check all the details of your insurance clause. This is an important step before signing the contract.
- Full Value Protection is a kind of insurance that will cover all of your belongings. However, this type of insurance may be more expensive.
- Released Value Protection is a kind of a standard insurance policy that you buy when you sign the contract with a moving company. This kind of insurance will cover around 60 percent of the value per pound of your things.
If you want to ensure your belongings, you can always ask for additional insurance that your moving company offers. Buying a liability policy as the additional fee, you can set a limit of insurance for the value of your belongings. This is the way to be sure your things are safe and if the damage happens, you’ll get the real amount of money for your damaged ones. Remember to take a copy of the insurance policy that you’ve have purchased. Also, check all the details before you sign it.